Verities and Balderdash
Verities and Balderdash is Harry Chapin's fourth and most commercially successful album. This album features the number one single "Cat's in the Cradle". This album was advertised with the slogan "As Only Harry Can Tell It". This album peaked at #4 on the US charts. This album was certified Gold by the RIAA on December 17, 1974. While the touring band remained the same, the producer brought in studio musicians to cut the tracks for the album.
- "Cat's in the Cradle" - 3:44
- "I Wanna Learn a Love Song" - 4:19
- "Shooting Star" - 4:02
- "30,000 Pounds of Bananas" - 5:45
- "She Sings Songs Without Words" - 3:31
- "What Made America Famous" - 6:53
- "Vacancy" - 4:00
- "Halfway to Heaven" - 6:10
- "Six String Orchestra" - 5:25
- Harry Chapin - vocals
- John Tropea - electric, acoustic, and lead guitar
- Don Payne - bass
- Alan Schwartzberg - drums
- Don Golnick - piano, electric piano, harpsicord
- Paul Leka - piano (on Six String Orchestra)
- Jim Chapin - drums (on Six String Orchestra, 30,000 Pounds of Bananas)
- Steve Chapin - piano (on Cat's in the Cradle, 30,000 Pounds of Bananas, Vacancy)
- Tom Chapin - guitar (on Cat's in the Cradle, 30,000 Pounds of Bananas)
- Paul Leka - producer
- All Music Guide - "... a very strange and wonderful album..."
- Billboard - "...not a bad cut on this set..."
- Zagat Survey Music Guide - 1,000 Top Albums of All Time (2003) - The story song was Chapin's speciality...perennial "Cat's in the Cradle," ... could make us cry and laugh in the course of a few tracks... it's the most timeless tearjerker ever."
|United States||August 24, 1974||Elektra||LP||7E-1012|
|United States||October 12, 1990||Elektra||CD||1012-2|